Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus. It has spread from China to many other countries around the world, including the United States. The virus that causes COVID-19 can cause illness ranging from mild to severe and, in some cases, can be fatal. Symptoms typically include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Some people infected with the virus have reported experiencing other non-respiratory symptoms. Other people, referred to as asymptomatic cases, have experienced no symptoms at all.
According to the CDC, symptoms of COVID-19 may appear in as few as 2 days or as long as 14 days after exposure.
The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person, including:
- Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet)
- Through respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
- Possibly by touching a surface or object that has SARS-CoV-2 virus on it and then touching your mouth, nose, eyes – but this is not thought to be the primary way the virus spreads.
People are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic (i.e., experiencing fever, cough, and/or shortness of breath). Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; but this is also not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.
To reduce the impact of COVID-19 outbreak conditions on businesses, workers, customers, and the public, it is important for all VSC employees to adhere to and follow each criteria listed below:
- Follow Social Distancing Rules: maintain a 6 feet distance between you and the next person & follow your state government’s guidance on the maximum number of people permitted for groups/gatherings.
- Avoid touching your face, eyes, nose and mouth.
- Wash Hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds – sing the Happy Birthday song twice while you wash. Dry your hands thoroughly. Use Hand Sanitizer containing 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Respiratory etiquette: cover your cough with tissues, sneeze into your sleeve or tissues and discard tissues into the trash, and immediately wash your hands.
- Frequently disinfect commonly used hard surfaces such as: door knobs, cell phones, key boards, tablets, etc.
- Do not use co-worker tools, equipment, phones, desks, offices, etc., that you have not properly disinfected.
- If you have flu like symptoms – stay at home; advise your VSC manager; do not return to the workplace until your doctor advises that you can.
- If you live with a person, or have been exposed to a person diagnosed with COVID-19, self-quarantine for 14 days.
- If you are working on a job-site where a person has been diagnosed with COVID-19, immediately notify your manager.
- If you develop symptoms while at work, immediately notify your manager and go home.
- If you are diagnosed with COVID-19 you must notify VSC’s HR Department and your manager immediately.
- VSC employees are not permitted to travel to any location identified on the CDC website found at: www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019‑ ncov/travelers. If you traveled to a location identified on the CDC website you must self-quarantine for 14 days.
- VSC management will notify a customer if a VSC employee diagnosed with COVID-19 was on their job site.
- All other PPE required by VSC when working around other identified hazards must be worn as you were trained.